People screened for Ebola at Ugandan border

Share it with your friends Like

Thanks! Share it with your friends!

Close

(12 Jun 2019) Uganda continued screening people for the Ebola virus at a town close to its border with the Democratic Republic of Congo on Wednesday, after a five-year-old boy became the first cross-border victim of the disease.
Uganda’s Health Minister, Ruth Jane Aceng, said the probability of more cases crossing over was “very high”.
Two more people in Uganda tested positive for the highly contagious disease that has killed nearly 1,400 in Congo.
The boy, part of a Congolese family who crossed into Uganda earlier in the week, died overnight, the World Health Organization said.
Ugandan authorities said the two new cases are his 3-year-old brother and 50-year-old grandmother, who have been isolated at a hospital near the border.
Uganda now has three confirmed Ebola cases.
Authorities tried to determine how the family, exposed to the virus via a sick relative in Congo, managed to cross a border where health officials have been screening millions of travelers for months.
This has become the second-deadliest Ebola outbreak in history since the first cases were declared in August.

Find out more about AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/HowWeWork
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AP_Archive
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/APArchives
Google+: https://plus.google.com/b/102011028589719587178/+APArchive​
Tumblr: https://aparchives.tumblr.com/​​
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/APNews/

You can license this story through AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/metadata/youtube/863ae8a6a5d616a91714353db7e1879a

Comments

Write a comment

*