Aftermath of looting in Liberia, comment from officials in Guinea and Sierra Leone

Share it with your friends Like

Thanks! Share it with your friends!

Close

Sanitary measures had been taken in Guinea, at the borders with Liberia and Sierra Leone, to prevent people infected with the Ebola virus from entering or leaving the country, the government’s spokesman said on Monday.
“We have more information for the population, for the sanitary human resources that are working in the hospitals so that it can be really informed and take all measures, so that they cannot have Ebola,” Albert Damantan Camara said.
In neighbouring Liberia, authorities urgently searched on Monday for 17 people who fled an Ebola medical centre over the weekend when it was attacked by looters who stole blood-stained sheets and mattresses and took them into an enormous slum.
Health officials were combing Monrovia’s West Point area that is home to at least 50,000 people to try to stop the virus from spreading further in a country where more than 400 people already have died.
The weekend chaos in Monrovia highlights the growing unease and panic in Liberia amid the mounting Ebola death toll and illustrates the risks of further instability in this deeply impoverished country where mistrust of the government runs high.
Some of the hardest-hit areas of the country are under quarantine, and many victims are dying uncounted in their own homes, according to aid workers.
Liberia is now the country with the highest number of Ebola deaths in the affected West African countries – 413 as of last week – and most believe even that figure is vastly under-estimated.
The World Health Organisation on Monday urged Liberia and other Ebola-affected countries to screen all passengers leaving international airports, sea ports and major ground crossings.
In Sierra Leone, the UN Resident Coordinator met with government officials to discuss ways to combat the outbreak of the Ebola virus in the country.
David McLachlan Karr launched an appeal of 18.1 million (US) dollars for the government of Sierra Leone to combat the Ebola virus.
“it is basically for the government of Sierra Leone to address clinical management, to address surveillance and contact tracing, to address social mobilisation, public awareness and to address the very necessary aspect of logistics. A supplemental appeal will be launch in the middle of this week for emergency food and for agricultural inputs,” McLachlan Karr said.
The disease has killed 1,145 of the more than 2,000 people sickened in Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone and Nigeria.

You can license this story through AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/metadata/youtube/868373e57424b3bb7b062ff25db886dd
Find out more about AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/HowWeWork

Comments

Write a comment

*