3 Ebola deaths in Guinea, first cases since 2016

Share it with your friends Like

Thanks! Share it with your friends!

Close

(14 Feb 2021) Health officials in Guinea on Sunday confirmed that at least three people have died from Ebola there, the first cases declared since it was one of three West African nations to fight the world’s deadliest Ebola epidemic that ended five years ago.
An additional four people are confirmed with Ebola, according to a statement from the ministry of health.
All seven positive cases attended the funeral of a nurse in Goueke on February 1 and later showed Ebola symptoms including a fever, diarrhea, vomiting, said the ministry statement.
The government has declared an Ebola epidemic and started contact tracing and isolating suspected cases.
It’s also sent an emergency team to support local teams in Goueke and has accelerated the procurement of Ebola vaccines from the World Health Organization.
The patients were tested for Ebola after showing symptoms of hemorrhagic fever and those who came in contact with the sick are already in isolation, said officials.
Guinea’s announcement comes one week after eastern Congo confirmed it also had cases.
The cases are not linked.  
Health experts in Guinea say these latest cases could be a major setback for the impoverished nation, already battling COVID-19 and which is still recovering from the previous Ebola outbreak, which killed 2,500 in Guinea where it began.
More than 11,300 people died in that outbreak which also hit the neighbouring countries of Liberia and Sierra Leone between 2014 and 2016.
One reason the previous outbreak was so deadly was because the virus wasn’t detected quickly and local authorities and the international community were slow to act when cases first popped up in a rural part of Guinea.
The epidemic’s initial patient, an 18-month-old boy from a small village, was believed to have been infected by bats, but after the case was reported in December 2013, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, it was weeks before a medical alert was issued and by then the virus had already spread and it took years to end it.
The new cases announced Sunday are in the Nzerekore region, the same place where the previous one started.
After hearing the news, locals in the capital said they worried the country wouldn’t be able to cope with another outbreak.
“We, Guineans, are struggling with the (COVID-19) pandemic and now with Ebola, it will be a real disaster,” said Ba Diawo.
The origin of the infections is still unknown.
Health experts hope that the availability of an Ebola vaccine will help to quickly control this outbreak.
Ebola is transmitted through direct contact with bodily fluids from someone showing Ebola symptoms, or from corpses who were positive.

Find out more about AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/HowWeWork
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AP_Archive
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/APArchives
Google+: https://plus.google.com/b/102011028589719587178/+APArchive​
Tumblr: https://aparchives.tumblr.com/​​
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/APNews/

You can license this story through AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/metadata/youtube/94bd40657715490290cf1b1447ffc8a9

Comments

joe bloggs says:

Could be easily put into soft drink

familly qanat says:

🇲🇦🇲🇦🇲🇦💌💌💌

joe bloggs says:

Problem nearly in uk back in 2015

Write a comment

*